I *love* your products. I own 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 iMacs, an AppleTV and have spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars in iTunes and the App Store. I love the brand and am a Promoter in the truest sense.
That is why I’m so disappointed you won’t allow me to use my iPhones.
I have moved my family from California to London, England for a new job. Like the good Apple nerd I am, I packed up all my gadgets and then tried to use my iPhones in the UK. Can’t be done. After purchasing THREE (3) of these things, Apple doesn’t see fit to allow me to unlock them for use them after moving out of AT&T’s service area. Really?
This isn’t a case of me wanting to use my iPhone on T-Mobile; there IS no AT&T in London. Apparently, I’m meant to just throw away or eBay 3 iPhones and buy new ones? I love the device, but really?
On top of the absurdity of your policy, I’d also like to share my support experience while trying to find an above-board solution to remaining your customer:
- I went to the Apple Store on Regents Street in London where your Apple Rep said, “Sorry, we can’t help. But… You can download software to jailbreak / unlock the phones. Otherwise, if you don’t want to do that, continue down Oxford until Tottenham and you’ll find an electronics store that’ll do it for you.” The guy then looks furtively around saying, “We didn’t have this conversation.”
- I then called AT&T to look for help (I know, fat chance). They said, “Apple can fix this given extenuating circumstances like yours.” Then the agent says, “You know, it’s probably easier to just Google ‘Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3′. I hear there is a new hack called ‘Spirit’ that’ll unlock your phone.” (I’m thinking, wowsa!?)
- Then I called Apple Support, going against your Rep’s/Agents’ advice to hack my phone. This Apple employee tells me that AT&T can unlock the phone! But if they won’t, he says, “You can always jailbreak it yourself. Search on Google.” (This is now the 2nd Apple support rep that tells me to jailbreak/hack my phone)
- I’m lonely this week, so I decided to call AT&T again. This time to my surprise, Ewan (the agent) actually tries to help. We spent 45 minutes on the phone and got nearly to the promised land when he received a call from AT&T’s unlocking department! He says, “I just received an angry call from my unlock department. They say we won’t (not can’t) unlock the phone unless Apple says so.” He goes on to say, “You know, it’s probably best if you just jailbreak the phone.”
- What the hell, I’ll call Apple again. What happened? You guessed it. No luck helping your previously promoting customer. However, the rep kind enough to let me know that I could hack my iPhone if I just Google ‘blackra1n’.
Can it really be that mighty Apple has no way to help me make good on my investment in their products? I understand the AT&T exclusive, but I also know that Apple/AT&T can and do unlock phones occasionally. Why not for me? What’s the secret pass phrase? THERE IS NO AT&T IN LONDON!
After 5 attempts, no solution and 3 Apple (and 2 AT&T) employees encouraging me to hack my phone and bypass Apple’s policies, I guess maybe I will. Or, maybe not. I’ve gone from an avid Promoter to a vocal Detractor in one move across the world. Ironically, in trying to do the right thing, even Apple employees tried to help me cheat their process.
Apple, your products are fantastic but in this important case, you’ve missed the point. Me.